Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2002, 04:42 PM

All,

there are 3 1/2 countries left in the world still using the inch system ... the half one is obvious, it is GB, (they are fervently trying every other day and succeeding better and better) then there is Birma, and Burundi still using it, but, (help me, folks) cannot remember which the 3rd country was ..... which was it, can you help me?

(sorry, could not resist )

Was quite amusing to me observing Americans sounding off about their own measuring standards, and, yes, to me too it appears as hmmh...a bit unbalanced (nice euphemism, Bernhard!). I've got no serious with problems with US feet and inches. But there are other things ... Why the heck did they let vinyl records start from the outer groove? Gear pitch is count of teeth per inch, about same is tap pitch. Completely weird to me . How do they intend to measure pitch then, a sliding caliper having no counter and hence being useless. And why do they measure wire thickness by the weight of a miles-long snippet of wire, which, put on a spool is too heavy for 2 men to lift? And the sliding caliper still being useless, having no built-in heavy weight gauge? Or was it that they measure the mileage of a given weight of wire, the sliding caliper then having no length counter???

US folks, relax, we Germans too have utterly stupid technical standards, if i think of it, every 2nd or 3rd DIN standard is Selbstzweck (probably best translated as: end in itself, a purpose being its own purpose, its own justification)

pantyfanatic,
this 10^9 notion is quite usual on technical forums as well as other strings describing mathematical functions like sqrt(x) or exp(x) . What amazes me are those folks drawing electronic circuits using ASCII characters only (only readable wih a constant width font )
Old 06-18-2002, 05:25 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Wink You can all blame OldFart now!

This may have been the wrong subject to enforce your NO EARLY RETURN clause on.

…and respond on I will!

Grumbleguts-
Quote:
...Canada is metric maybe they are not as backward as the country south of them reckons...The engine manual was a pretty funny book as it was translated from english to Italian and then back to English.

I can paddle a canoe (or could 20 years ago) to the borders, but can truthfully say that the feelings of all the Americans I have ever known is one of honest fondness and respect for our Canadian brothers (and especially the sisters ). The only backward consideration for a Canadian I have is while looking up the skirt of the pontificator on my soapbox. Our SugerFreeCandy makes it sound as though they are having a time of kicking the crap off their boots as well. But they are at least trying! [piss me off No.1, -10 points] WE’RE NOT!

Your engine manual must have been like reading the Rosetta Stone or playing the old Telegraph game where each person repeats a sentence down the line until it has no resemblance to the original.

Aeros731-
A least your Redneck/English dialect is your own evolved folly. [PMO No.2, -10 points] WE ADOPTED THIS STUPID SYSTEM FROM SOMEBODY ELSE IN AN OFFICIAL ACT OF THE US CONGRESS, even after we knew of the far better system.

And so you all know that I am using OldFarts SOAPBOX and not a LEMMON CRATE…..
dice45-
Quote:
...observing Americans sounding off about their own...

All the silky wet spots have a sweet taste to me. After I peek up all the skirts here at Pixies, I peek in a book or two and have found it a mistake to stamp the people with the same mark as their governments and the powers they live under. Seems to be the case all threw out history, from the Incas and Egyptians to the German history books. NOBODY, ANYWHERE, has the monopoly on a government full of corruption, abuse and ignorance. My thing is, as an American, I can do something about it, without fear, if only to start by hollering and pointing. Even if it’s something I contributed to. First one American points, and another looks, then another, and another…….. We Found slavery, the Teapot Dome, McCarthy, Watergate and many more including Vietnam this way. Sometimes rocking the canoe is not all bad and I can do it. Only really bad thing about the world is it’s full of people, and I’m one of them. Just working with that the best way I can and where I have the best chance to do something regardless of how small it is. [BEING AN AMERICAN, +100 pts]
Quote:
no serious problems with US feet and inches

!WRONG! Add up 2 miles, 3 chains, 4 yards, 2 feet and 7-1/2 inches without a calculator that has algebraic functions, if you have the time to spare. Then ask a 3rd grader to add 2 kilometers, 3 meters, 4 centimeters, and 5 millimeters. SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES. [PMO No.3, –10 pts.]
Quote:
Why the heck did they let vinyl records start from the outer groove

Just my thoughts- It was a carryover from the first phonograph media that was a cylinder and of course started from the outside edge. JUST STUPID MIND SET. [PMO No.4, -3 pts.]
Quote:
...Gear pitch is count of teeth per inch, about same is tap pitch...

!RIGHT! We have to make template type gages or count by hand or with a scriber point within a known distance. VERY AWKARD AND SUBJECT TO ERROR [PMO No.5, -5pts]
Quote:
measure wire thickness by the weight

!RIGHT! And don’t forget sheet metal gages, related to nothing else size wise. Supposedly based on the yield of the product based on a know quantity of raw material. Different material specific gravity create different gage systems for the same type products. BACK ASSWARD APPROCH AND THINKING. [PMO No.6, -10 pts]

*Interesting notes*
Shotgun Bore Gages- An equal portion, of a pound of lead, formed into a sphere, determines the diameter of the bore and the portion number is the gage size. So a 12 gage shotgun bore has no reference to the size of the bore what so ever, but totally to the size of the lead ball made from 1/12 of pound of lead.

Pipe Sizes- Pipe is concerned with the volume of matter it is capable of containing. The I.D. is the functional size of a pipe but in order to make fittings it was necessary to standardize the O.D.. After this was done, different wall thickness was required for different applications, particularly when steam was the primary source of power which happened to be at the same point in the industrial revolution that standards were trying to be developed. So they changed the wall to meet the increasing pressure demands. This changes the I.D. which is the reference size of the product, so you have pipe sizes that have no relationship to the size designation.
Quote:
What amazes me are those folks drawing electronic circuits using ASCII characters

Still undergoing development and modification. And it’s happening. [PMO No.7, -1 pt]

My whole point here is not just to grumble about any method or system, but to change it when it has proven to be no longer functional. I am VERY cautious about revolution but very supportive of evolution. Sometimes evolution moves forward with a jerking lung and then stabilizes for a period of time. When you do not move with it you become extinct.

Now let me get back under this soapbox and look up at the rewards of this life struggle. Get back up here SugarFreeCandy

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-18-2002, 07:43 AM

pantyfanantic,

concerning the Imperial dimension units, won't take me that long, my electronic fist wedge (model HP48GX) knows them all and can add mixed units, even performing dimension analysis in the background and complaining about incompatible units.
So that's no problem. Calculalting W/O an electronic fist wedge, c'mon, we are in the electronic stone age!

Concerning throwing Americans in the same pot with American gov'ment, well i don't think this would be right.
If this gov'ment would have been elected properly .... but this is not the case. Has not been the case for 100 years. Since about 1900 (according to some historians i have read, metends to follow that opinion) ultmitate power in the US is wielded by the business tycoons, by the Wall Street. And either elections have been influenced or the elected have been tamed to suit the Wall Street needs after election. for the record, add an IMO, ok?

Quote:
!RIGHT! And don't forget sheet metal gages, related to nothing else size wise. Supposedly based on the yield of the product based on a know quantity of raw material. Different material specific gravity create different gage systems for the same type products. BACK ASSWARD APPROCH AND THINKING. [PMO No.6, -10 pts]

this probably comes from merchants defining units of technical goods they do not full understand as far as physical and technical properties, manufacturing, sizing and interfacing necessities are concerned.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
Hey PF keep the soapbox mate. I enjoy your very specific and rational thinking. I didnt know how lead shot was sized but it doesn't seem all that logical now I know.

The decimal/metric system is very easy to grasp and it is hard to change from what you were brought up on. I too have problems still with a persons height, I still think I am 5' 7" tall not about 170cm but I am OK with being 75 Kg. Isnt that strange.

I mainly think metric now but using different spanners (oh yeah americans call them wrenches lol) I am very versatile in that I can use metric, AF and BSW ones with some precision.

Copper pipe in Australia is measured OD not ID as in the US. The US idea is the most practical in this instance.

We have Australian Standards that have caused some confusion if you are not conversant with them,. 1/2" pipe is 15mm but if you converted it exactly the it would be 12.7mm so the 15mm is sometimes confused with 5/8" but now that is 18mm with 20mm for 3/4". OD of course.

If you work in the industry as I have it is no problem. I design and install medical gas reticulation systems for hospitals and other gaseous applications. I have had a long involvement with the AS2896 - Design and Installation of Medical Gas Systems for Human Use. I have actually had several of my submissions adopted into the standard, something of which I am quite proud.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Horny Devil

Send a message via ICQ to legend
i'm just wondering what the total points score for PF was....

The sun is gone, but I have a light - Kurt Cobain

~I love Nikki~
Old 06-18-2002, 05:37 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by legend
i'm just wondering what the total points score for PF was....

Do you want that in Metric or Imperial or Hibernian Point Gage Values ?

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Old 06-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Melted

My first language is an Acadian dialect. This consists mostly of old French words and expressions. French people absolutely can't understand it, however! (Neither from Québec nor from France!) When I visited France, I would talk to my friends in Acadian, and the people from there assumed I was talking english since they just couldn't make out anything I was saying.
Acadian dialects vary though. I have cousins who live barely an hour from here, and we have difficulty understanding each other. The differences in pronounciation and even the way we put sentences together are surprisingly different.
Unfortunately, in this modern age, we are losing many of our old expressions and becoming more and more influenced by English.

Si à travers nos veines coule encore le sang...
Si dans les jeux d'enfants on entend encore l'accent...
Si nous sentons encore l'espoir de nos grands-parents...
Si dans les voiles du large souffle encore le vent...
Y'a jamais eu de Grand Dérangement.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:14 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Is “three-dozen-hundred” a word even in our screwed up English system?

(And after I make my next post, this won’t make any sense to any body. LMAO That’s why I though it belonged here )

Old 09-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Learning to talk sexy

LOL ... a few I remember ....

Baby buggy/pram
orange juice /squash (where in America - squash is a veggie)
car hood/bonnet .... trunk/hood??
Old 09-05-2003, 11:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to campingboy
In NA the car trunk is call the Boot in the UK

A camping trailer in NA is called a Caravan in the UK

In Na we have football and soccer, in most of the reat of the world they only have football which is soccer....

In Na they have a sofa, in the UK they have couches or cherterfields.

“Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.”
Barbara Bush

"You know that look women get when they want sex? Me neither!"
Drew Carey
Old 09-06-2003, 08:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
OHHHH I am glad to see this thread reappear

I have contributed to it a lot previously and hope we all get into it again.

One thing I find very frequently is that our Americans cousins rarely use the word too. eg I am too full to eat another bite.
It always seems to be spelt "to" which has a different meaning.

Teddy Bear knows as we chat regualarly and I am always pulling her up on it so she often types toooooo LOL.

but I would like to show some dictionary listings on some common words that we differ on

arse
// ‡ Colloquial
--noun 1. rump; bottom; buttocks; posterior. 2. a despised person. 3. impudence: what arse!

--phrase (verb) (arsed; arsing)
4. a boot up the arse, swift punishment or retribution.
5. a (nice) bit (or piece) of arse, a person considered as a sexual object.
6. a pain in the arse, an annoying person, thing, event, etc.: this computer is a pain in the arse.
7. arse about, in reverse or illogical order: he did the exercise completely arse about.
8. arse about (or around), to act like a fool; waste time.
9. arse about face, changed in direction; back to front.
10. arse over tit (or apex), fallen heavily and awkwardly, usually in a forward direction.
11. arse up, to spoil; cause to fail.
12. cover one's arse, to protect oneself.
13. down on one's arse, out of luck; destitute.
14. get one's arse into gear, to become organised and ready for action.
15. get the arse, a. to be dismissed, especially from employment. b. to be rejected or rebuffed.
16. give someone the arse, a. to dismiss someone, especially from employment. b. to reject or rebuff someone.
17. kick arse, Originally US a. to assert authority by being violent and aggressive towards people. b. to defeat opponents soundly.
18. kick someone's arse, a. to beat someone convincingly. b. to reprimand someone severely.
19. kiss my arse, (an expression of derision).
20. up Cook's arse, NZ (an expression of disgust).
[Middle English, from Old English ears]

pissed
// ‡ Colloquial
--adjective 1. drunk. 2. Originally US disgruntled; fed up; thoroughly discontent.
--phrase 3. pissed as a newt (or parrot), extremely drunk. 4. pissed off, disgruntled; fed up; thoroughly discontent.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlueSwede Send a message via Yahoo to BlueSwede
"One thing I find very frequently is that our Americans cousins rarely use the word too. eg I am too full to eat another bite.
It always seems to be spelt "to" which has a different meaning."

That isn't so, Grumble. The use of the word "too" as you define it or use it here is indeed alive and well in the States. A few people may be mispelling it as "to" by mistake, but that's just because they've forgotten their spelling/grammar rules they learned in school (not that I'm singling out TeddyBear [smile]). I edited medical books here in the States for 24 years; believe me, the majority of us definitely use "too" just as you do.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
It's too bad you two can't agree to share the tu-tu together!!!

Too , two wrongs don't make a right, but to be fair to the two of you, let's agree to differ!!
I only own my mind
Old 09-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Scottish Angel

Two negatives can make a positive, but two positives only make a negative in "GLASGOW"~~~~~~~~

aye,right!!!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 02:49 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

This is all too much for the two halves of a brain to comprehend.

(Oh yes ………………… this language is a real logical thing.)