Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Loungin' Around

Question Favorite City

In an effort to learn more about you and to develop a list of places I'd like to travel in the future...

Tell me about your favorite city (where you have fond memories, like to visit, found compelling).

If you can, describe it for me, what makes it special to you, and how you feel when you're there.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 09-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Loungin' Around

I'll start off.

One of my favorite cities is Bruges. It's in Belgium and is often called the "Venice of the north." Bruges is a small town that has been very well-preserved (unlike the rest of BE which was bombed a lot). The streets are winding and narrow, and it's easy to get yourself lost in this quaint little town.

I remember one night I wandered Bruges alone after dusk. I was charmed by the friendly shop owners and the intimate feel of this picturesque town. I wandered into a small restaurant (they're all over) and ended up sitting with a charming young gentlemen who told me about Bruges' history while I ate the best escargot I've ever had in my life. There was a wandering violinist who scerenaded us and set the mood perfectly.

The night was so warm, the food so good, and the company so pleasant that I've always had a fondness for Bruges. I'd like to go back there and see if I could find the same restaurant and replicate the experience, but I'm sure I wouldn't get so lucky.

Bruges is a city of mystique, where you can feel the weight of the ages (there are some roads and structures nearby that date back to ancient Rome)...yet also strangely welcoming.

http://www.visit-bruges.com/
http://www.photoguide.to/bruges/

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 09-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Southern Belle

I love New Orleans. I have been there twice and I am ready to go back anytime. I love to go to the Garden District and just walk around. The houses in the GD are so pretty. I can just imagine living in one of them. Then you have the French Quarter. Just driving the small distance from the Garden District to the French Quarter is like going to a whole different world. Where the GD is quiet and nice and clean, the FQ is loud, smelly, and gaudy.
I am a big people watcher, so New Orleans is a great place for me to sit in a cafe and just watch the multitude of different people go by.
My favorite thing to do in any city that I go to is take a horse and carriage ride. The drivers are always so knowledgeable about the city and you get to see everything at a slow pace without actually having to walk lol
Old 09-18-2003, 02:22 PM
IGGY MY LOVE IS HOME!!!!

I love Kaiserslautern Germany. The city holds so many wondeful memories. I partied my ass off in various clubs and pubs. I met the love of my life there in a Irish pub called the Harp. I loved walking around the shopping platz. Getting pierced at Selma's with Iggy, he got his nipples and tongue and I got my tragus done. I learned so much more about German culture. I was there when the city celebrated 725 years of city status in 2001. Downtown K-town was decorated with over 200 fish like this:

The fountain you see in the picture I had a habit of climbing to the top of on many a drunken night.

I also enjoyed exploring the castle in Landstuhl with Iggy.

http://www.2-37ar.1ad.army.mil/Aggr...s/Landstuhl.htm
This link will give you a better "tour" of the castle and surroundings. Click on the pics to enlarge.

I guess you can tell from this post that I love Germany. I hope one day to move there for good.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Just me.

I was a child when we lived in Germany, but I have very fond memories of Mannheim, Heidelberg and most of Germany in general, not to mention Bern, Switzerland and Austria. Have rather negative memories of France although Paris is a beautiful city with many great attractions.

Lived in Japan in my early teens and loved Sendai where we were for our first year and half. Very mountainous, very friendly, and a genuinely nice city to live in. Sendai (as I recall) was around a half million people then ... closer to a million now.

We also lived in Yokohama for a year and a half and it was great. Near the ocean, near Tokyo, Kamakura and other great sites. Japanese people were some of the friendliest people I think I've ever known. Always polite and considerate. Japan was great. I know it's gotten quite expensive, but definitely a great place to vist. (Take a couple of days to climb Mt. Fuji. Wow!)

So many great cities in the US ... Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles (including Long Beach, Anaheim, Hollywood, etc); Chicago, St. Louis. There're all great places to visit.

But, of all the big cities I've visited, I think my favorite was Toronto. People were kind, city was clean, and it felt so remarkably safe. I remember in the hotel I stayed at the service channel referred to Toronto as Chicago run by the Swiss. What a vivid description. I think from Union Station to Bloor, I've walked just about every street in the downtown area. Highly recommed it (although like all big cities, it is a bit pricey).

But, of all the cities
Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
I will put in a pitch for the city I was born and raised in. Los Angeles,California. It's a huge spread of land connected by free ways and has gotten a bad reputation in the past.But I see a city rich in history,where a great many famous people from the rest of the world came to settle.It was host twice to the Olympic games,once in 1932 and again in 1984.It's multiculturial,somewhat progressive and many interesting places to visit.Not many places can boast of visiting the mountains,desert and sea shore all in one day.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 AM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
My favorite place from the past and my limited travels was definitely St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. The place just intrigued me with tiny twisting roads and of course all the tourist trappings but the most impressive thing to me was the beach. Sand white and smooth as sugar, the brine was as clear as any pool and the atmosphere was pure Jimmy Buffet. I could well have grabbed lounge chair and kicked back for months without a care.
I was on a cruise with some buddies. We did some of the shopping things but the best part of it was the scuba tour we took. I will do that again some day. Next time I'm hoping for fairer company though.... doesn't laying on a sun soaked beach with a cute little umbrella drink and a hand to hold just sound like paradice?

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery