Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
~getting by~

Charity

I'm feeling financially blessed after many years of putting my career first in my life. I'm ready to give back and am drawn to many different charitable organizations ...

... after listening to the local country station do their St Jude Country Cares tel-a-thon do their thing for the past two days (and shedding a tear or three in the car), I made the call, donated and feel proud and honored to be one of their millions of supporters....

So, tell me Pixies which charitable organizations do you support financially, emotionally, physically, or by any other means...

Last edited by maddy : 03-09-2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: someone found my type ;) And my grammar truly sucked!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I'm a Guardian Ad Litem. I just give me. I also have donated to Locks of Love.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

I gave money for a while (great for taxes), now I give my time because I don't have money. I write letters to dictators & quote Cat Stevens, I knock on doors for one of Canada's leftie parties & I edit a LBGT newsletter when they need it.

I helped out my local Habitat chapter because of a Pixie, too. Awwwwwwwwww, so sweet.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
~getting by~

btw - my edit remark did say typO - I swear on a stack of dirt!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Missing the Angels

I support kiddo's fund raiser's in school....her recent one was a mathathon for St. Judes. Last year she did Jump rope for Heart.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Made in England

I donate my time to a couple of causes near and dear to me. I also sponser a family at Christmas time.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Loungin' Around

We give to GoodWill, the Arrthritis Foundation, the Red Cross, and The Ohio State University. I've also been note to donate to the Diabetes Assn., although we didn't this year.

I've historically given my time to mentoring college women engineers, and to Junior Achievement (education). I also served in a soup kitchen last year.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Learning to talk sexy

Over the years I've done a variety of things, helped with community clean up days in my town, gave time in political campaigns, crocheted bandages for people with leoprasy (sp?) in other countries, helped make quilts, toys, etc., I've given money to various causes, donated books and such to libraries and prisoners, and gave odds and ends to thrift shops that support various charities ... it sounds like lots, but the time and energy has been contributed in bits and pieces for the most part, donation of funds and time have been something I've done all my life, it was part of my upbringing ... I literally remember doing it before I was even in school.

Many of these activities and donations have been sponsored by the church I belong to, so it's often been as much of a social event with people I love spending time with anyway. But for a number of years, I donated 1-5 Saturdays a month for a cause I hold very close to my heart ... between the traveling to and from and the time spent in the effort, it was usually 10-12 hours per Saturday that I was involved. My schedule ultimately changed and so I no longer do that, but it was a wonderful time, and I can honestly say that I got so much more out of it then I could have ever put into it!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
I've made donations almost every year to the United Way, and the Make A Wish foundation.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Just me.

Several ... The Alzheimer's Foundation; St. Jude; Musclar Dystrophy; Race for the Cure; and others. Our pride is the young Mexican girl that we sponsor. We'ver sponsored her now for about four years and she's a delightful young lady.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:43 AM
Everybody Stretch!

My heart is in Habitat...but I'm giving more to The Red Cross this year. I've also donated my state tax return to Breast Cancer Awareness this tax time.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I am becoming so cynical and have a problem with donating $$ period. I fear the $$ going to cover overhead and it never truly making a difference. Recently I heard some statistics regarding a charity started by Stephen King and his wife. The overhead costs were something like .01 percent. This has changed my view a bit and now I'm seeking out info on groups who do good work and have very low overhead. Anybody have any ideas?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-10-2006, 06:44 AM
~getting by~

Excellent point, Lilith. I recall looking at that once upon a time but have not done so recently. From what I recall it tends to be the smaller local organizations rather than the larger national/global ones.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:09 AM

We give a fair amount to our Church, to the United Way, and then a lot of the misc charitys - AHA, Samariton's purse, local food shelf, local zoos etc.

Don't get me wrong by the #s. We give what we can, but we don't get anywhere near to giving enough away. (Big believer in how lucky we are in life).

My favorite charity to work at is a local once every three month lunch thing we do at a Kids Crisis Nursery. We cook lunch for the kids and the staff. Small group thing. Fun.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Not there yet.....

Well being self employed, everybody hits us up! And they are all great causes......

I'm in training right now to do an 180 mile bicycle ride this summer with about 1500 other peeps.... funds go to the American Lung Assoc. I wouldn't mind Lance Armstrong being my riding buddy if any of you know him!!! I wish I knew Chris & Dana Reeves son, I'd invite him along too! If any of you want to help sponsor me, PM me please.... my personal goal is $1000. Thanks for helping whatever your cause is..... they surely need folks like you!

Afternoon Delight

Delightful Rendezvous!

Is the love I gave her in the past, gonna be enough to last, if tomorrow never comes........