Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
The hidden cost of our..........

illegal occupation of Iraq .....Why were these pictures hidden from the American public until now? Why was the lady who took these pictures fired from her job? www.thememoryhole.org
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
lakritze I have tried to edit your link to make it work but am not having any luck.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 04-23-2004, 01:59 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I also wanna ask if that's a discussion (because it will turn political) you really wanna get into here based on what has happened in similar threads???

The same controversy existed recently about CBS showing Princess Di's body.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 04-23-2004, 02:04 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Interesting that every link I try, even from the original article, won't work.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Lilith---It doesn't come up for me either! Irish
P.S.My $.02.Yes,it will turn political!
Old 04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Ethical Epicurean

Sorry for the bad link,but this is breaking news in every paper nation wide.These images should make us all think about what is going on, even at the risk of turning political.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:21 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

okee dokee...

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 04-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Gentlefolk,

All political discussions can be equal, if we all practice sufficient self restraint to make them so.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Ethical Epicurean

This is what I am saying. You can disagree with me 50% or even 100%.Thats alright.But get involved and find out for yourselves. Most of the things the govt.does under most any administration is conducted behind our back without any input from people like us. As my friend Aurora points out,decisions are far reaching and effect people the world over.Read Bob Woodward's new book or any of the new books trying to alert us to this fact.There has been a very cinical ban on pictures of coffins returning from this "war" for a long time.Now the story's are breaking in the news.The pentagon says it is to protect the familie's privacy of those who gave their lives for "freedom".Others will say it's a cinical attempt to keep the American publc in the dark as to the failure of this illegal occupation.Everyone has heard that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance,but few realize it means to watch your elected or "selected" officials and participate in the effort to keep Democracy alive.STAY INFORMED PEOPLE......
Old 04-23-2004, 04:59 PM

Gentlefolk,

Lakritze and I share few philosophical positions, yet I find myself in agreement with him that we must become and remain informed. Democracy, wherever it is practiced, is practiced best when people know what they are talking (and hopefully voting) about.

As to why the photographer was fired; she was fired because she violated the terms of her employment.

One can argue, as some have, that the no photograph rule is designed to cover up the human cost of war. Others can argue plausibly that the policy it is in the interests of bereaved families. They are, after all, already in mourning over the loss of their family member.

Perhaps the policy could be revised to permit those who want their dead publicized the opportunity to authorize it. That way, the privacy of those who prefer to mourn privately could be respected, and those who wish to make their aguish public could also be accommodated.

Still, whichever way this policy plays out against the Freedom of Information Act (the controlling law in this instance), an adult discussion of the pros and cons of it, and any revisions to it, would best be carried out without rancor.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

What was hidden???

Why disrespect the dead and their families with pictures of flag drapped coffins. The press releases the names and the number of dead and wounded so it's not the number of dead hidden and not the name of the dead, so I ask what is hidden?? They do not have to sensanualis it with this type of Picture just to sell more papers or get more veiwers. Now if the names were not released that would be a different subject. Please respect the men and women who put their lives on the line so that you have the right to make incorrect statements such as this.

Last edited by Scarecrow : 04-23-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Just me.

I agree, Scarecrow.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:15 AM
I make sexytime with you

Sensational it might be, but so is photographing soldiers farewelling loved ones, saluting in front of flags flapping the the breeze, etc. That's what most journalistic or indeed artistic photographs are designed to do, engender sensation. What those photos are not is dishonest. Soldiers died, got put in coffins, flags were draped over them, and got shipped out. The photographs document nothing that didn't actually happen.

Now personally, I don't understand how photographing a coffin disrespects the person in it or their family. If someone can explain that to me, I'd appreciate it (seriously).
I want to do something that matters
Old 04-24-2004, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to having_fun
I received this email on Thursday, it will be the only reply I post to this thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened. I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week leave back home.

And just so you can rest at night knowing something is happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you.

This is the list of things that has happened in Iraq recently: (Please share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is producing): All I saw while I was on leave were reports about the negative things, regarding a small minority of people there.

Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time ever in Iraq.

Over 400,000 kids have up to date immunizations.

Over 1500 schools have been renovated and ridded of the weapons that were stored there so education can occur.

The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain can be off loaded from ships faster.

School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.

The country had it's first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.

The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the war.

100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed compared to 35% before the war.

Elections are taking place in every major city and city councils are in place.

Sewer and water lines are updated, installed, and working in every major city.

Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.

Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.

Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with US soldiers.

Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever.

Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs.

An interim constitution has been signed.

Girls are allowed to attend school for the first time ever in Iraq.

Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years.

Don't believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have met many, many people from Iraq that want us there and in a bad way.

They say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone, anywhere to dispute me on these facts. So if you happen to run into John Kerry, be sure to give him my email address and send him to Denison, Iowa. This soldier will set him straight. If you are like me and very disgusted with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a
friend and let them know there are good things happening.

Ray Reynolds, SFC
Iowa Army National Guard
234th Signal Battalion
Old 04-24-2004, 07:33 AM
here and there

The original story with the photos that got the woman fired were run in the Seattle Times. The story about it is also there.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht..._coffin22m.html

I am still looking for the reference so I can post it here, but apparently some of the images that were posted on TheMemoryHole web site have been misrepresented and are of coffins with the remains of one of the shuttle accidents. However, until I can substantiate that claim I will just chalk it up to hearsay.

(BTW, the original link in this thread does work, the site is just overwhelmed at the moment)