User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 02:03 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Aussie Innocent?????

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiap...peal/index.html

I'm curious what our Pixies from Oz have to say about this case. OldFart is her defense a possibility?????

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 05-27-2005, 02:38 PM
is not this trim anymore!

I couldnt' concentrate after I saw that 100 MILLION rupiah = $10,700!

Imagine how big their wallets are?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Banned

A lot of druggies I know think she's crying wolf because she should have detected all the extra weight. It's a harsh sentence and she's getting a lot of publicity so she might get to return to Australia.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Dork

I was IMing with bronzedozzy as he was watching them hand down their verdict.......sounds like a lot of people think she got a bum rap but the kicker IS is that 20 years has to be considered a cake walk when you realize that this sentence could have WELL carried the death penalty.

It's a horrible sad story for everyone. I hope they're able to make some kind of prisoner exchange.

And another thing *she said with her hands on her hips*.......
What's up with the bad press against pot anyway? LOL I think it's a fine drug, safer and healthier than drinkin' that's for dang sure.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
A lot of druggies I know think she's crying wolf because she should have detected all the extra weight. It's a harsh sentence and she's getting a lot of publicity so she might get to return to Australia.

I hadn't heard one way or another if she even had handled her baggage after it was supposedly tampered with. Even if she had handled her own bags she might not have realized it right away......I know how tired and flaked out I get when I travel, she just might not have noticed.

I still don't get why pot is such a horrible drug in all our countries. Legalize it already! :wobble:
Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 AM

RandyGal,

Legalisation of pot will have to wait until the Govmint can tax it effectively and breath

test for it accurately, like it does with Alcohol.

It brings out psychoses in a small number of it's users, but they can't say in advance who

it will fuck up. Kinda sorta like alcohol, eh?

Schapelle Corby's alleged crime has been so badly reported over here we don't know if

it was enough for it to be in her baggage (an absolute offence like speeding where there is no

mitigation) and all they were arguing over was how long she's get or whether it required

elements of knowledge and thus a guilty mind.

The water's too muddy now and the poor girl, innocent or guilty, is in a jail cell with seven

others for the next 20 years.

Just as a matter of interest, check the sentence of the mastermind of the Bali bombing,

to see the comparative importance the Indons place between 4kg of dope and planning

the deaths of about 200 people.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Made in England

It doesn't make sense the difference between the sentences....but then again nothing makes much sense in certain parts of the world.

The sentence is most definately unjust......but what can be done? Is there anyway the government of Australia can debate that she serve her sentence in Australia?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Dork

I read that Schapelle will attempt to appeal the sentence. The problem with this is that the judge then has the option to RAISE her sentence to more years or even death........

So you're young and facing 20 years. It's probably worth it to at least try to appeal....I mean she's already got a pretty long wait, what's a few years more? (IF that happens I mean)

still hoping that a prisoner exchange will happen though.

Oldfart, yep, sounds a lot like alcohol. LOL I do think it's illegal because it's too easily home-grown and the government can't currently make any money on it.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

Hmmm - I heard about this case having talked to Belial about it before I travelled to Bali last month - he was warning me to keep an eye on my baggage!

The thing is, that all of that stuff about packing your own luggage and not allowing people to tamper with it, does have to be taken seriously. It is the traveller's responsibility, and since it's impossible to leave baggage unattended in an airport these days without it being treated like an unexploded bomb, I find it hard to imagine that her luggage was tampered with once at the airport.

Unfortunately, no matter how 'flaked out' one might feel when travelling, that can't be used as an excuse. Particularly not considering the length of the journey.....I (and thousands like me) managed to travel the 24 hours by road and air from Europe to Bali without being too flaked out to notice anyone tampering with my luggage, and that's a fuck of a lot longer distance to go!

I'm not sure how the sentence she's received can be described as 'unjust' since there are signs plastered all over the airport at Depasar claiming that drug smuggling carries the death penalty. No matter the Western world's views on marujuana being 'safer' than alcohol and tobacco, it's illegal in Bali and the penalty for the crime is death.

The Indonesian economy is struggling and in Bali, they rely heavily on tourist trade, which would suffer if drugs were to become rife in the country. The Balinese are an exceptionally gentle and spiritual race of people, with enough daily struggles not to need to add drugs to the list. There is virtually no crime on Bali, so whatever we Westerners think of their methods, they've achieved something we cannot.....perhaps we should be learning something from that, rather than slating a country whose methods we believe to be too harsh.

No one should be punished for a crime they didn't commit, but since none of us know whether she did commit it or not, we can only comment on whether the punishment fits the crime.....seems to me that she got off lightly, considering that the death penalty could have easily been imposed under Indonesian law. No-one forced her at gun-point to travel to Indonesia.... and if you don't like the laws, stay out of the country!

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Registered Dork

Loulabelle, the last 3-4 years that I've travelled we're not allowed to lock our luggage. I can totally see how someone could plant anything they want in our suitcases. Heck, the TSA even puts INSIDE each of our checked bags a nice little slip of paper that said they opened and examined the contents of our bags! EEK!!
On my last trip to Florida I even had something taken OUT of my bag. If that can happen then surely someone could plant something just as easily.

Wasn't this young ladies bag a checked bag that she retrieved upon arrival at her destination?

I do agree that a person should follow the rules/laws of the country you visit. That's a given I guess.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 AM
I make sexytime with you

I know you won't mind me disagreeing with you in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulabelle

I'm not sure how the sentence she's received can be described as 'unjust' since there are signs plastered all over the airport at Depasar claiming that drug smuggling carries the death penalty. No matter the Western world's views on marujuana being 'safer' than alcohol and tobacco, it's illegal in Bali and the penalty for the crime is death.

Because the fact that it's illegal doesn't necessarily make it unjust. Hell, sex toys are illegal in Alabama, doesn't mean you're suddenly evil if you take your currently lifestyle there. Unless you believe that following laws is the primary, overarching requirement to living justly.

Quote:
The Indonesian economy is struggling and in Bali, they rely heavily on tourist trade, which would suffer if drugs were to become rife in the country. The Balinese are an exceptionally gentle and spiritual race of people, with enough daily struggles not to need to add drugs to the list. There is virtually no crime on Bali, so whatever we Westerners think of their methods, they've achieved something we cannot.....perhaps we should be learning something from that, rather than slating a country whose methods we believe to be too harsh.

Would tourist trade suffer, or increase? I know I'd certainly feel more comfortable holidaying somewhere where a bag of pot won't earn me a bullet in the head. A hell of a lot of travel agencies here are boycotting Bali as a result of this case.

Rastafarians are also a gentle and spiritual people, and they use marijuana as an essential part of their lives. Indonesia's current drug policy is in place so that they will keep receiving aid from countries ostensibly waging "war on drugs", it's hardly something that has evolved naturally. And I know you've just been there, but I've heard from many that have also been to Bali that virtually any drug you want, you can get.

Quote:
No one should be punished for a crime they didn't commit, but since none of us know whether she did commit it or not, we can only comment on whether the punishment fits the crime.....seems to me that she got off lightly, considering that the death penalty could have easily been imposed under Indonesian law. No-one forced her at gun-point to travel to Indonesia.... and if you don't like the laws, stay out of the country!

The judges don't "know", either, they take the evidence presented, and (hopefully) make the best decision. And I don't see why we can't comment on aspects of the trial and police procedure that seem to have happened in questionable fairness.

Staying out of Indonesia is, I'm afraid, what many Australians are now choosing to do - to Indonesia's detriment.
I want to do something that matters
Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 PM

Belial,

While obeying the laws of a country one visits may not be the primary, overarching requirement to living justly, doing so is traditional. I expect visitors to my home to accommodate my norms. That’s pretty standard, at least in my experience. If the limits I place upon my guests’ behavior are too onerous, I suspect they won’t return. That is what Bali risks if Indonesian law appears draconian to too many people.

The Koran is the primary source of Islamic law, the Sharia. It contains the rules by which the Muslim world should be governed, and forms the basis for relations between individuals, whether Muslim, or as in the case of the unlucky Ms. Corby, non-Muslim. The Sharia expresses the rules by which a Muslim society is organized and governed, and it provides the rules to resolve conflicts among individuals and between the individual and the state.

Indonesia is, I believe, the most populous Islamic nation in the world. It can be difficult for those who draw upon a secular background to appreciate how inseparable religion is from the daily lives of many, if not most Muslims.

In re Loulabelle’s comment on crime in Bali; having lived for a few years in Jeddah, I can attest to a similar absence of crime there. Yes, their vision of what is “just” is different from ours.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
What i think is that we do not know all the facts on the case....and we will never know all the facts either

If they found her guilty then there has to be some valid reason as to why they reached that decision...wether that same decsion would seem valid to me i dont know

All i know is she WAS found guilty and some dickhead Aussies are jepordising any appeal she may have (ie: suspect powder delivered to Indonesian embassy) amd also any chance of a exchange to get her back to serve her time here in Australia

I believe boycotting a country is personal choice....my choice would be that doing so is not hurting those that you may be angry with....but the poor that rely on the tourist trade....Indonesia has always been tough on drugs and it always will be...their country their rules

Be a smart traveller is all i can say....lock ya baggage when going to Indonesia at the very least

Lou hun ~ Unfortunately baggage can be tampered with...all it takes is a airport employee who wants to move something to another country (ie drugs) or steal something from luggage....it happens unfortunately
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 PM
~getting by~

I too was under the impression that this was an airport/TSA employee that she is alleging tampered with her bag. I know, when I just travelled less than a week ago domestically in the US I was asked as I turned my bag over if it was unlocked. It is required to be. They have TSA approved locks now (which I have and don't use) but they don't seem to be widely accepted by the TSA (ironic, I know!). I too found upon my arrival home the lovely notecard letting me know that they had fully searched my bag and it would have been easy enough for someone to add or remove something from my bag and I wouldn't have had a clue until I arrived at my destination and unpacked it.

My only thought about this idea that an airport employee tampered with her luggage and planted the drugs is they did a really poor job on completing the "connection". They surely would have needed someone on the other end in Bali to "lose" her luggage for her or re-handle it to remove the drugs to further distribute or keep them. It seems a bit idiotic to me that an employee would have planted them in an effort to smuggle without having an aware party involved elsewhere on the trip.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
They may have had someone who was sposed to be at the other end...but wasnt there for whatever reason....i dunno i'm not a desparate drug lord

Shapelle is only 1 of about 130 (unsure on actual figures) Aussies in foreign jails.