View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

2 October 1917

Western Front
Three Sopwith Pups make a low-level night bombing raid on German airfields at Kruishoutem and Waregem.
Third Battle of Ypres: Fierce artillery duels (and again on October 13).
Verdun: Germans attack in Beaumont (Reims), and between Samogneux and Hill 344 gain footing. French counter-attacks all day fail to drive out Germans.
French and British airmen bomb towns in Metz region, Cambrai and Courtrai and St. Denis Westrem aerodrome.
France: 22 Gothas and 2 other bombers drop c.10t of bombs on RNAS St Pol depot, destroy 23 aircraft being erected, damage 30. RNAS builds new depot near Calais.
British officer sitting next to a German “dud” shell on the Western Front: © IWM (Q 6027): https://twitter.com/CenturyAgoToday...543012302217216

Southern Front
Austro-Hungarian attack on slopes of San Gabriele (Isonzo) fail. Italians gain ground in counter-attack.

Naval and Overseas Operations
H.M.S. Drake torpedoed and sunk by U-79 (Rohrbeck) in shallow water north of Ireland: 19 killed. The 14.100 tons cruiser ‘HMS Drake’ was from 1901: https://i1.wp.com/ww2-weapons.com/w...drake.jpg?ssl=1
East Atlantic: Q-Ship Q 10 (ex-sloop Begonia) sinks in collision with U-151 off Casablanca.
Baltic: Russian Fleet refuses to obey Governments orders (Bolsheviks dominate Cebtrobalt by October 30, 1917).

Political, etc
Germany
: There is a claim of: Reichstag informed of mutiny at Wilhelmshaven. I think this is a mistaken note: AFAIK, there was no German naval mutiny until 1918. No other mention of this supposed revolt or mutiny exists.
Russia: Russian Democratic Conference decides against Coalition Government.
United Kingdom: British War Loan issued.
Italy: Second Papal Note to Allies announced in Italy.
United States: Columbia University in New York expels two professors, Dr. Henry W. L. Dana and Dr. J. McKeen Cattell, for their pacifist views.
Sweden: Swedish Government resigns.