View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

13 November 1917

And today, we get a really helpful map! (Check the Southern Front section)
Western Front
Germans bomb Calais (earlier raids on October 20, 21 and 24).

Southern Front
First Battle of the Piave
(until December 30): German and Austro-Hungarian forces cross the Piave River 23 miles from Venice. Austrian 1st Mountain Brigade enters Primolano, Brenta valley, takes Mt Tonderica on November 15. Italians forced off Gallio heights but hold Mt Sisemol.
Map showing the extent of Italy’s retreat in the ongoing Austro-Hungarian and German offensive: https://twitter.com/CenturyAgoToday...085395840237568
Italy: General Herbert Plumer arrives at Mantua to take over as British C-in-C (appointment November 10) 423 Italian battalions (33 divisions) with 3,500 guns vs 736 Austro-German battalions (55 divisions) and 4,500 guns.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theaters
Palestine
: Action of El Mughar. Allenby attacks towards Junction Station of Jerusalem railway with 25,000 men and 136 guns against 9000 Turks with c.60 guns. 800 Yeomanry (130 casualties) charge and storm EI Mughar Ridge and village, take over 1,000 PoWs, 2 guns and 14 Mgs.
British officers examine an abandoned Turkish field gun in Palestine: https://i0.wp.com/ww2-weapons.com/w...stina.jpg?ssl=1

Political, etc
Russia
: Kerenski's forces defeated by Bolsheviki near Petrograd (see 8th and 15th).
Lenin appeals to Party to seize whole country. Reds control Smolensk after defeating Cossacks and also capture Tashkent on November 14.
France: Paul Painlevé Ministry defeated 186-279 on vote of confidence in Chamber, resigns on November 14.
United Kingdom: Russians in London repudiate Leninists.
Trevelyan Thomson reassures War Cabinet no German link with pacifists, boredom main motivation.
Serbia: Entente legation to the US reports that up to a quarter of the Serbian population may have died due to combat, disease, and starvation during the war.
United States: President Wilson: “What I am opposed to is not the feeling of pacifists, but their stupidity.”