Thread: Traveling Alone
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 05:36 PM

I think my mate and I have become past masters at trans-atlantic travel the last few years. I'm not gonna be able to put all the possible tips here, but if there's anything in particular you want to know about please PM me.

The best tips we've developed for folks coming to visit and continue on to Europe are pretty simple. For family about to fly, I go out and buy them the softest, cuddliest scarf I can find. It's a wonder on a flight. Easy to stuff under your feet, can help keep you warm, can be draped over eyes if too bright, or bunched up for use as either a pillow or lumbar pillow. And it's not bulky or heavy. Third to a bottle of water and a long book, it's the best thing I've ever flown with. If you've got money to burn, my mate loves his noise suppression headphones, passive ones are cheaper and work pretty well.

Pack light, if you're forcing your bag closed already you've got too much stuff. You'll want that space for goodies on the way back. And some of those goodies can be clothes, which fixes all wardrobe problems (as well as potentially making you look less like an American tourist). Expandable bags are great, but it's not as expandable as you might think....it's never enough for me, I know .

I don't know about Spain or Portugal, but there are phones you can buy in the UK for literally £10. You have to buy top up cards, and pay for calls as you go, and they're the most BASIC phones. But they're perfect for a week long trip here.

I've traveled all over western europe on my own, and never had a problem with feeling unsafe. I will admit that I don't have late nights when I'm on my own...I'm usually safe back in my hotel or B&B before 10, but I've been all over London at odd hours of night and not felt the least unsafe. The continent, though, I'm less secure though...hence my early nights.

Rick Steeves suggests that you can travel anywhere easily provided that you learn to say yes, no, please, thank you, excuse me, and the words for the numbers 1 through 10. I've actually found that to be pretty close to accurate, although I always have a small dictionary with me for menus and asking directions, etc. I'd add the word "enough" to that list. If it's just a level of attention that's normal in the country but which isn't what an American is comfortable with, guys WILL mostly back off if you make it clear you're not interested.

My sister's tip is to go out and buy a cheap, gold colored ring for a woman traveling alone. You really are less likely to be hassled if someone thinks you've got a husband just round the corner.

If you can't drive a stick, learn...or make sure you can rent an automatic where you're planning to get your car. You've got to work hard, at least in England, to FIND an automatic car. In England, while I'm on it, your US licence is good for a year...they won't even ask if you can drive on the wrong side...they just turn you loose. I'm not actually sure what the rules are in Europe.

Especially in the southern/more religious countries in Europe, make absolutely sure to have long pants and shirts with sleeves. If you intend to visit a church, it's extremely rude to go with shorts or sheveless T's...no matter how hot it is. Some of the more popular destinations won't even let you in.

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet do great guides, especially for people who want to get off the beaten trail...or just see the "must sees" without spending a packet.

If you're planning a trip without tours...you might want to organize your long haul travel days for Sundays...I find those the ones where tourism was toughest.

And that's way more than enough from me....like I said, if I've left out something you're dead curious about...let me know. If I don't know, I'll try to find out.

G