Thread: Traveling Alone
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Loungin' Around

You can rent an international tri-band phone from many places in the US. I agree this is a good idea...do an internet search and see what is available in your area. Please note that traditional US cell phones will NOT work in Europe -- they use a different system (as does Japan, for some reason...makes it so I sometimes have to have 3 phones...but that's another matter).

Buy guidebooks in English, and take along a pocket-sized language book for the local language. It's amazing how helpful the locals will be, if you try and meet them partway by learning a few basic words.

Depending on where you go, the men might be a little more aggressive than you are used to. I experienced this in Italy, although I don't remember Spain being particularly bad. I mention this because (depending ont he local customs) a man whistling at you or walking behind you saying something suggestively might not be as threatening in Italy as it is in the US...it's culturally more "normal." Ask your family some questions, and use your instincts....they are seldom wrong.

I recommend you take some pepper spray also. Pack it in your checked luggage, because security screening WILL take it if it is on a carry-on....but it should assist while on the mainland.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney