View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 10:13 PM
obsolete

Connie

Dinner at mom's went off without a hitch, though there was that usual tension in the air when she and Jim were in the same place at the same time. I helped mom set the table, telling her about the lamp I had gotten, while my husband watched the end of the football game in the living room with daddy.

Those two always seemed to get along no matter what. In a way they had become allies over the years in their secret war of self-preservation against my mother. I prayed silently that I would never "become" my mother. I wouldn't. Would I?

We made it an early night. I had laundry to do and tomorrow was a work day for both of us. When I announced our imminent departure, Jim gave an audible sigh of relief, making me wish (and not for the first time) that he would try not to be so obvious.

At any rate, we were home by seven and Jim went upstairs to the computer room. He thought I didn't know about the sites he visited on the net, but I let him have his illusions. Besides, it didn't bother me. I knew whose bed he was in every night and it made our love-making spicier. Chuckling at how silly men could be, I began to tackle the laundry.

It wasn't long before I heard Jim come back downstairs and go into the kitchen. I was almost finished and I still owed him for being such a good sport today. Shopping and mom all in one day was almost too much for any mere mortal to bear. Yes, I would reward him royally, I thought as I willed the clothes to dry a little faster.

After Jim went back up, I straightened up the mess he had made in the kitchen while I waited for the buzzer to go off. That man! He was worse than a tornado. That's when I noticed something on the floor. I stooped to pick it up and noticed another one. And another.

"Jim? Jim!" I followed the trail of coffee beans across the living room and up the stairs. Bending, picking and calling out the whole way to our bedroom, I turned the knob and flung open the door. "What the hell... "

I blinked at the sight that befell my eyes. I blinked again... just to be sure. A large grin spread over my face as I kicked the door closed behind me and took it all in.

It was playtime!