Thread: Instruments
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Lil, sorry I couldn't get back in time, but it might surprise you to find that I didn't stop with the purchase of a bass...I actually am the owner of 2 flutes...& at one time I could play a couple of tunes on them (my friend & I would tear it up on "Greensleeves" guitar/flute duet every xmas).

Looks like Neige already answered as well as I could have, Gemeinhardt is (or was) the Cadillac of flutes, at least that was what I was told at one time...Armstrong was more like a Chevy, not top of the line, but good enough for the average student. I'm not sure, but I think that's what my 2 flute brands are...they're buried in a closet somewhere. I bought both used from a bandmate, the first one (Armstrong) had a broken piece that kept the last 2 stops from flapping open too far, but didn't affect my playing that much...but it was enough that when the same guy was ready to sell me his low-end Gemeinhardt, I made the Armstrong into a lamp

Sounds like you made a good deal on Ebay, what was the "good named student flute" you got? Dent aren't usually a big deal on flutes, unless in an area where two pieces have to fit together...the biggest problem you may have when the flute gets there is that the pads may be old & dried out, not something an average layman (or beginner) can detect, but if the pads are bad they'll leak air & the every note will sound like an asthmatic steam engine (or something like that...suddenly the right metaphor escapes me)...the pads & springs can be replaced making it good as new, but the last time I checked, it was about $50 for the repair, & that was years ago....

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.