View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Married Couple

Small Town Secrets

Chapter One

Casey Stratton rubbed the letter in her hand with her thumb and forefinger as she drove the long and winding road. It had been left on her pillow, in her college dorm room, nearly a month ago. She didn't need to read it, she knew it by heart.

Dear Casey,

You remember the day in journalism class when we debated the topic "Should Secrets Societies Really Be Left Secret?". And I said that there were some secrets that should be left that way. Well..., that's why I never told you about my family and home life in Tennessee. Some towns have secrets that are so old they can not, and will not, be forgotten. Secrets that are engrained into each child as they grow up, making sure that the old ways are never forgotten.

Having said that, I am writing to tell you "good-bye". You've been a good friend to me and I'll never forget you because of that. But, I've decided not to finish school. Instead I'll be returning to my home and family. I know you and know how you are. So, please don't follow me. I have obligations that can no longer be put off. Obligations that were given to me at birth and now I must fulfill them. I'll miss you greatly.

Love,

Amy

P. S. I meant it when I said that you are my best friend and for you not to follow me. I love you too much to see you end up in the same position as me. Good-bye Casey. And good luck.

Casey sighed when she saw the small wooden sign reading "Crestview 5 miles" along the roadside. She would soon be there and the first thing she was going to do was find Amy. She would then find out why Amy wouldn't be returning to school and what her obligations were. How could Amy not expect her to follow her?! They both were in jouralism. And Amy should know well that a reporter was determined to find out the truth to any story, real or not.

Casey parked in front of the small general store. She noted the town looked like that of Walnut Grove from Laura Ingalls Widler's "Little House on the Prairie". The town was quiet, yet busy, for the size of it. Her car was the only motorized one in site. Everywhere she looked there were horses, carriages, and wagons. Everyone she seen was dress like it was the 1800's. The men wore overalls or pants and spenders with flannel shirts and boots. The women wore dresses; some had shoes others were barefoot. Some clothing looked almost brand new, others as if they had been worn for years. She then noticed Amy walking out of the general store, two steps behind a very handsome older man.

"Amy," Casey said as she greeted her friend and hugged her. She was shocked when Amy did not hug her back. "What's wrong," she asked, stepping back from her friend, "you act as if you have never seen me before." Amy looked in any direction but at her. "I'm sorry, Miss," the man said to her, "but apparently you are new to our community. Our woman don't speak to outsiders unless their husbands or fathers allow them too. And right now, my wife and I are heading for home. If you would like to visit her there, that would be fine with me." He then smiled at her, nodded, and then took Amy by the arm, leading her away. After helping Amy into their wagon, the man turned again to her. "Our house is about two miles out of town on this road." He pointed in the direction they would be taking. "For my wife's sake, I'd like to invite you to take supper with us tonight, Miss. Obviously you two are well acquainted. We will be eating at six." With that the man flipped the reins connected to the horse and they were off, leaving her standing there with her jaw open and staring at her friend and this man as they left.

Casey turned to get in her car when she notice the huge man watching her from in front of the feed and grain. He was tall, very tall in fact, with shoulder length dark brown hair. His broad shoulders tappered down to a smaller waist. His golden skin and well muscled body told her that he was use to manual labor; something she was not. He certainly turned her eyes. She wondered if she would be seeing him again, but doubted that she would since she was going to Amy's house that evening. She checked herself into the local hotel and unpacked, giving herself something to do until six.

Thomas Everly stood on the sidewalk outside of the feed and grain, watching the scene unfolding across the street as the young woman talked with Jacob Townshend and his wife. He knew that Amy had left thier small backwoods town some years ago and had gone to a high society school. Obviously, this young woman was one of the friends that she had made there. His interest was peaked though when he heard Jacob tell her that she was invited to have supper with them. That interested him because he too had been invited to take supper with the Townshend's that evening. He watched the young woman as she stared after them. He then finished loading his own wagon and headed home.

Thomas arrived at the Townshend farm just shortly before the young woman did. He was sitting on the porch with Jacob when she arrived. "Good evening, Miss Stratton," Jacob said, standing to greet his guest. Thomas stood as well to greet the young woman. "My wife has told me a lot about you. This is one of our friends, Thomas Everly. He will be joining us tonight. Amy is in the kitchen now, preparing our meal. Mayhaps you would like to help her?" "Thank you, Mister ehh... Mister ehh...," she stammered, realizing that she had yet to learn Amy's husbands name. "Townshend," Jacob said, "Jacob Townshend."

Thomas watched Miss Stratton enter the house. She was taller than most of the woman that lived here in Crestview. Her honey-blonde hair was pulled up in a ponytail, but it still hung down nearly to her waist. Her eyes were the palest blue, like color of the sky on a cloudless day. Thanks to the tight jeans she wore, he couldn't help but notice her legs were long and shapely and her ass was round and firm. Her tight shirt revealed that she had ample breasts. She was certainly everything the woman from Crestview were not. He had been to the bigger towns several times and had taken his pleasures with the ladies there. Not many men here in Crestview were virgins when they wedded, but nearly every woman was. It was the way many a man learned how to please his wife. He wondered if this young lady was. He certainly was going to do everything possible to find out if she was or not.

All night long, Thomas watched Casey. He couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Where she came from, she was use to woman being able to say and/or do as they pleased. But that was not the case here in Crestview. Woman were not allowed to speak unless their husband or father allowed them too. And if the person was an outsider, they were very rarely permitted. But, there were exceptions, like those taking place here. Amy and Casey were now in the kitchen. From the sounds of the conversation, Amy was telling Casey how life was here in Crestview.

Thomas continued to think about the society had lived in. Woman were also not allowed to wear anything but a dress. And Casey had caused quite a stir when she had arrived earlier today wearing jeans and a shirt. A woman was not allowed to be seen in public without a male protector. Crestview had gotten use to woman passing through to be manless. But if Casey planned to stay for a little while, she would need the protection of a man. And he planned to make sure he was that man. People in Crestview literally lived like it was still the 1800's. He planned to have her as his and this willful woman would just have to learn to live that way too.