Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   puzzlers (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28881)

wyndhy 08-31-2006 09:20 AM

puzzlers

anyone else a puzzleholic? crosswords, sudoku, jumbles, jigsaws, word grids, etc?

i love puzzles. crosswords especially. a challenging themed crossword that's loaded with puns especially especially. sometimes, i have about a three-a-day habit. :o at least there's a few i can get for free on-line. (duuuuude, front me the post's sunday 'zine. i'm jonesin')

i love jigsaw puzzles, too – though not the 3-d ones – i like the ones with a billion pieces.

i like all kinds of puzzles, i guess...'cept sudoku. i am horrible at it. :p

to pat my own backside a moment :p...i've created a few crosswords and i have one that i think might actually be good enough to submit to an editor! :eek: from what i could tell, they pay shit for 'em but i think it would be beyond cool to get it published.

i was reading an article the other day about crossword creators and solvers and was surprised to hear that most are math-minded. most creators are even math majors and are good at recognizing mathematical patterns. this was a little bit daunting 'cause i couldn't make that connection in my head and 'cause i always sucked at math - didn't even finish college let alone major in math but i'm gonna refine my baby and submit it anyway. i think i like 'em for the fun challenge and it's just a natural extension of my love of words and language, not the math and pattern part. or maybe i’m a latent mathematician. *guffaw*

what the hell, right? worst they can say is you suck and we all know i do already...and i do it very well, tyvm. ;):p

dicksbro 08-31-2006 12:40 PM

Jigsaw puzzles are my favorite although I'll never compare with my mom and her sister. They one time turned a thousand-piece puzzle upside down and worked it with only the grey showing. Now that's commitment.

When I was still working, I also enjoyed doing the morning crossword puzzle from the paper. Haven't done that since I retired.

wyndhy 08-31-2006 12:43 PM

you should, db....keeps the mind active and we all know all you do is loaf around the house all day in your non-skivvies going quitely senile. ;):D:p

upside-down?!? wow! how long did it take them?

TinTennessee 08-31-2006 12:57 PM

I'm more of a word-search kinda gal, when the urge hits me. Wyn...good luck with getting your crossword published, I think that is so cool!

Fangtasia 08-31-2006 01:23 PM

I enjoy most puzzles....except Soduku

Absolutely love jigsaws...the bigger and harder the better :D

Steph 08-31-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
to pat my own backside a moment :p...i've created a few crosswords and i have one that i think might actually be good enough to submit to an editor! :eek: from what i could tell, they pay shit for 'em but i think it would be beyond cool to get it published.

Talk to the editor of your local paper about the crossword section.

Crosswords are not my forte & from what I know they're a syndicated thing but talk to your local editor. Perhaps if you incorporate local clues (if your market is big enough to sustain such sections) you have a cool start.

wyndhy 08-31-2006 03:15 PM

good advice steph! ty

yes, they are syndicated. i also found a website that has links to some national papers' crossword submission guidelines. when i do send it, i can expect to wait a few weeks before i hear anything and possibly months to a year before it's published...if it's not crap, that is. :D:p

rockintime 08-31-2006 03:57 PM

Yep, I like puzzles (including SUDOKU), but don't get much time to do 'em.

Also like word games like Boggle, Scrabble, etc.

Aqua 08-31-2006 04:01 PM

I suck at crosswords. :rolleyes:

I haven't done a jigsaw puzzle in ages, but they're fun.

I think you should try and get your crossword published. That would be awesome!

wyndhy 08-31-2006 04:12 PM

ty for the encouragement peeps!

Pita 08-31-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro
Jigsaw puzzles are my favorite although I'll never compare with my mom and her sister. They one time turned a thousand-piece puzzle upside down and worked it with only the grey showing. Now that's commitment.

Whoa!! That is very cool. I love jigsaw puzzles! Cross word puzzles not so much. I'm not fond of thinking. :sad:

alspals69 08-31-2006 05:22 PM

i love Soduku, it's about the only type i am good at, lol

rockintime 08-31-2006 08:04 PM

Just think about how many hours have been spent playing Sudoku the past couple years....now if those had been spent on finding the cure for ____. :D

Lilith 08-31-2006 08:05 PM

Way cool. I hope to try your puzzle some day. I won't finish it but I'll start it :p

wyndhy 08-31-2006 08:12 PM

i could forward you the answers. :p